Monday, December 29, 2008

Cheer! Cheer! The Gangs All Here!

© 2008 Albert A Rasch

Quick post for tonight! I didn't get to work on the pirogue. The Mrs wanted me to look for a job. The nerve.

But later in the afternoon Blake's new friends stopped by and asked Blake if he would take them fishing. Blake hollered up for permission, so I made him come on up and ask Mom if it was Ok. She of course told him to ask me. So I of course said yes. Which ten minutes later led to "How could you let them go by themselves! It's getting dark and there are alligators the size of a small car in that lake!" I of course responded with, "Honey, the gator will go for the smallest kid in the bunch, and Blake is by far the biggest." A stunning piece of irrefutable logic if you ask me.

Of course, all it got me was a smack on the back of the head, which, by the way, I never saw coming because...

I WAS ON-LINE LOOKING FOR A JOB!

Women can't live with 'em, and you can't shoot them either.

Rubbing my head, where that damned two and a half carat emerald cut diamond I bought for her ten years ago when I was really out of my mind, clocked me, I got up, marched to the stairway and laced my boots up.

Charlie was already there waiting to be leashed up. Even the dog has me trained. Will it never end!

Well, we made it to Lake Uihlein with out being run over by the cars speeding along Lakewood Ranch Blvd., and much to the Mrs' relief none of the kids had been eaten. I, on the other hand, was half hoping that we would find the kids cowering behind a park bench, screaming in terror, as one of them was being pulled down into the murky depths by a huge gator, just to justify the knot on my head, but alas, it was not to be.

Blake's Fishing Possee
Tommy, Darrel, Joe, and Christian


There was one small, minor issue that had to be cleared up before anything else though. And that had to do with good manners. When we first approached the boys, not a head turned in our direction, no one thought to say good evening, or hello. It was the second time it has happened.

Bad Idea.

One look from the Mrs and I assumed my best drill sergeant demeanor and barked out, "Line up! Right here! Now!" I love it when young men jump and follow orders. The look of surprise, a touch of bewilderment, the momentary thought of defiance that is quickly discarded, it's just a moment of pleasure that is all too infrequent. They lined up and were quick about it. I let the Mrs take it from there. Basically we asked them to be gentlemen. To greet us properly, look us in the eye, and use the English language correctly, and that if they had a question to always ask. In return for their good manners, we would in turn, invite them to all the interesting goings on that we are involved in. There's my projects that they can get their hands dirty with. (Or lose an eye!) We are always available to organize a camping trip, fishing trip, and all sorts of other outdoor fun! Plus we cook some mighty fine vittles!

They got the message.

I can't think of anything better for a bunch of boys to be doing than fishing. And I'm really proud of Blake for bringing this disparate group of boys together with a common purpose of having some good, clean fun. Good on you Buddy!

Oh, and by the way, even though I get the occasional smack on the head...

I still love her more than anything!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Hunt Continues...

4 comments:

Native said...

Too, Too funny,
I remember as a youngster we (mostly my good "half breed like me" buddy Terrence Halote, We would take our canoe and cruise the Econalokhatchee River which is located down by a little town called Christmas.
This all being just outside Orlando but still in Orange County.

Late at night with spotlight in in one hand and 3lb. hand sledge in the other spotlighting Gators.

Oh well! You can guess the rest and, I look back upon those times and wonder, that if we would have had a mentor such as you and the Mrs.
If we would have all turned out much more different and settled down a bit earlier instead of hell raisin' at all hours of the night.

Good job on instilling solid values and tempering the fortitude of them young lads.

Albert A Rasch said...

Thanks Mike!

We really do try to keep all the kids we come in contact with in line. Sometimes it makes for uncomfortable moments at homes we visit, but quite frankly, I don't have to tolerate misbehavior. 95% of the time it's the parents fault anyway.

The thing I have found is that kids love to act properly if the motivation is there. They really do want to please, they just don't know how. We just tell them what the expectations are, and what they can expect from us.

Now if you don't mind, I need to put some ice on my noggin.

Regards,
Albert

PS: And the three pound sledge was for...?

PPS: I get it. I carry an asp baton just in case, never know when you might step on a tail or something. AAR

Anonymous said...

Ahh.. you had to write that last part didn't you. It's tough to post to the blog with a wicked backhand standing right behind you... trust me on that one.

Great post! With all the crap kids can be getting into these days, glad to see the youngster out doing something wholesome and righteous... scaring fish!

Spent an awful lot of my youth doing that, and look how well I turned out!

Anonymous said...

As a woman, I feel I should be on your wife's side. Solidarity, sister!

In any case, I think the important part of the post was the great example you're setting for those boys. One thing I was taught when I was growing up is that there were expectations for proper behavior and that manners were always part of those expectations. Knowing how to behave and mind my manners has stood me in good stead several times over the years. Keep encouraging these boys to learn how to be gentlemen. It will take them far in life.