Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sun Protection and Skin Care for You, the Outdoorsman

Hunting and Fishing in the Sun: Reduce Your Risks!
© 2011 Albert A Rasch and
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
$g&m f9bd 45kd q!?5.

Having Fun in the Sun - Safely!

Editor's Note: I've been very fortunate. Though I have spent the majority of my working days out in the sun, I have not suffered any damage... that I can tell. Time though, will tell just how much damage I really have done to my skin.  So allow me to remind you of the dangers, and the simple precautions you can take to safeguard your health. 

As many of you must know, skin cancer is on the rise. Exposure to everyday chemicals, polluted atmospheres, over exposure to the sun, and better record keeping, all have contributed to the rise according to the American Cancer Society. 2 million cases of non-melanoma skin cancer on average are diagnosed each year. 68,000 cases of melanoma, the most serious and lethal type of skin cancer, are within that diagnostic catagory.

Remember when summertime rolls around, we tend to spend far more time outdoors, especially if we love fishing! Long hours on the dock, pier, shoreline, or boat add up to a lot of exposure, especially to the strongest and most harmful ultraviolet sun rays of the year.
There are some simple precausions you can take to reduce the harmful effects of the sun and reduce your chances of skin cancer and damage.
  • Wear a hat.your head and face are the most likely spots to get damaged and suffer skin cancer!
  • Wear long sleeved shirts and pants. If you have ever watched the TV shows of flats fishermen in Florida, you will notice they wear lightweight pants and long sleeve shirts.
  • Use good sunglasses that are polarized. Not only can you see better, but it really helps protect your eyes from flying debris, sand, lures and insects.
  • Use a good sunblock. SPF 30 is the minimum for outdoor work, and you should reapply frequently.

 It's really important to drink plenty of water, and stay hydrated. If you're hydrated so is your skin. And hydrated skin can cool itself more efficiently. 


Following these simple guidelines will lessen the chances of you getting skin skin cancer and keep you enjoying the great outdoors!

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Member:  Qalat City Tent Club
Member: Hunting Sportsmen of the United States HSUS (Let 'em sue me.)
The Hunt Continues...


The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles, Albert A Rasch, Hunting in Florida

3 comments:

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

Heard a statistic the other day that most people develop skin cancer on their left side . . . its because of hanging your arm out the car window! Unbelievable!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Great post on Melanoma awareness! My mom has beat Melanoma three times in the past 20 years. She's been VERY fortunate to catch each tumor in it's early stage. She sometimes gets embrassed from all the scars left from the surgeries (which most people do not notice, but looks are a woman thing:)) I tell her that she should be proud of her battle wounds because its proof you kicked cancer's ass THREE times! And at the end of the day...you are still with us.

Hopefully you're preaching to the fellows over there with ya. I can't imagine be in the sun all day!

Kirk Mantay said...

I'm 37, and last week I had a spot on my neck biopsied for skin cancer. Still waiting on the official results but the dermatologist said, "Unless someone burned you in the neck with a cigarette, that's skin cancer."

Like you, I've spent most of my days and years afield. I started wearing a hat when I started losing my hair at 25 years old, and I also put lotion on my ears and nose, but my neck still gets burned from time to time.

Guess I need a new game plan.