Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bubby and the Big Ass Bass

© 2010 Albert A Rasch and
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
$g&m f9bd 45kd q!?5.

Folks,

I just got this a little while ago from home. Sorry about the title, but that's what I got, and I'm just reporting here!

Dearest Dad,

Bubby did not want me to tell you. He does not want you to feel bad or disappointed. But OMG you are going to freak out.

Bubby and I decided we would go fishing in the lake that we walk Charlie around. So we got some things together and went. I fished for a while, then I sat down in the chair with Charlie. Matt was on his way to fish with Blake. (BTW your fishing rod, the new one you bought when you came home on R&R, it stinks. So I threw it away. You can get a new one when you come home again...)

It was very quiet; the lake was like a sheet of glass and it was beautiful. I think it was about 3 or 4 pm, it had just stopped raining maybe 30 min before. I saw Matt walking to us in the distance, and then I heard the sound of Blake's rattle trap rattling.

I looked at the calm lake and I saw a fish dancing on his tail on top of the water. It was a big fish. Just like on TV!

Blake fought and fought, reeling the monster in, rod held high, the best he could. I don't think Blake has ever had to fight a fish like that. I was so excited and I was trying to get to my camera on my phone. (Matt got to see the whole thing.)

Blake said "Mom get the net!" Of course it was all folded up. Phone in one hand, net in the other, I managed to get the net together. Meanwhile Blake is still fighting the fish.

Blake gets the fish right up to the shore. OMG it was a big bass. It was so big that Blake could not pull it up on the shore. I got down to the waters edge OMG this is a big one. No kidding it looked like a ten pounder, but it was probable 7 or 8 pounds, it was huge.

I had the net in the water but now Charlie thought he would help, so he jumped in to the water after the fish. Needless to say, that did not help.

We got Charlie back. Blake could not control the fish, and now the water was all mucky so I could not see the fish. Blake was trying as hard as he could, his rod was bent all the way. I wish you could have been there. The fish kept fighting. Every time Blake would get it close we could see how big it really was.

I was trying to get it in the net, but every time Blake would get it close it would vanish in the murky water. The fish had plenty of fight left in him.

With one more show of his dancing skills on water, he shook the rattle trap free. The fish was so close to us he splashed us and said, "See you suckers!"

I screamed; I could not believe we lost him.

Blake had a smile a mile wide. I could not love him any more than I do. We vowed to fish that lake until we catch that monster.

Well what do you think of that?

Love,
Mom

What do I think of that?

I'll tell you what I think of that!

AWESOME!!!

What better experience for a young man than to hook into a lunker Largemouth Bass! And to fight him to shore several times, only to lose him to some weak hooks, and still think it's the greatest thing ever, well what does that tell you about that young man? I am pleased as punch and very proud of the sportsman he has become, that's what I think of that.

When Bubby spoke to me he told me that the hooks had straightened out from the weight and strength of the largemouth. As soon as they send me the pictures of the Rattletrap I'll post them.

Now about my new fishing rod...

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Member:Kandahar Tent Club
Member: Hunting Sportsmen of the United States HSUS (Let 'em sue me.)
The Hunt Continues...


The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Albert that is the most awesome story I had read in awhile. He must have been very disappointed for a little while but I sure wish i was in his place.
Now that was an experience that you don't live everyday.

Whitetail Woods Blog / Blackpowder Shooting

Stephen Olner said...

the bit that cracked me up was the "so i threw it away" lol, awesome on the bass, I just got some new lures from a friend that hand makes them. not had chance to try them yet been a bit to busy trying to catch a Redtail Hawk.

Michael Spinelli said...

The one that got away! Here's to more opportunities to capture the goliath!

Cheers,
Mike S
Mike's Travels