Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sausage Making, Charcuterie

.
The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing.

Sausages.

Nothing like a fresh, hot off the grill sausage, with scrambled eggs made with just pulled from under a hen eggs, and an ice cold glass of chocolate milk to start a day off right! Throw in some hash browns and a slice of that bread that Miss Jamie taught me to make, with some butter and jam, and it's a good excuse to lallygag over a rich and creamy half and half latte until lunch.

It is one of the fascinating thing about the internet, you can find anything on it! This gentleman, NTSC, does several things, but principally makes sausages, and makes it look pretty easy. His most recent post is for a chicken basil sun dried tomato sausage. If nothing else, just take a look and salivate over his preparations at The Art of the Pig.

This might be the impetus that some of us hog hunters need to make even better use of our quarry! As many of you are undoubtedly doing, making what we have stretch a bit more has become a useful activity. If you happen to have the equipment to turn your deer and hog into delicious cured meats, well you have just added to your repertoire of "survival skills."

Funny, how things that were once necessary for everyday survival are coming back into vogue.

Here are a couple of reference sources for the adventurous:


Regards,
Albert

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Albert, now that you made me totally hungry. I have but one question,

I want to know what time is breakfast?

Albert A Rasch said...

Rick,

As soon as I get a hog!

Albert

Jamie Woodward said...

Thanks for the information. I think I'm finally ready to attempt sausage this year. :)

Home on the Range said...

Yum. Now I want have to drive to buy homemade Bangers for the Bangers and Mash I posted.

I didn't do it myself, but someone made bratwurst out of some of my venison a couple years ago, and it was wonderful stuff.

Albert A Rasch said...

Some of the best foods I have ever eaten has been sausage and sausage type preparations. You can take a practically inedible cut of meat and with the artful use of the grinder turn it into the most delicious items on the menu!

Whether the main course like Brats, or as an addition like a Chorizo, sausages are awesome!

Albert