Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bluebirds are Making a Comeback!

© 2009 Albert A Rasch and
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles Bluebirds in Florida, Making Nest boxes for bluebirds, bluebird nest boxes
Bluebirds Making a Comeback in West Central Florida
$g&m f9bd 45kd q!?5.
Image Credit: wvgasguy
Thanks again to the keen observations of the Portly Pirate at The Drawn Cutlass, I have been made aware of the Eastern Bluebird is making a comeback here in my neck of the woods! One of the members of the Thrush family, the Eastern Bluebird is welcome visitor in anyone's backyard. Insectivorous, they nest in tree hollows on the edges of open fields and pastures where they can capture their meals.

According to the UPI article there are over 100 nesting pairs in the suburban and rural areas east of Tampa.

Image Credit:Momba
Nest boxes are easily made, though the entrance hole needs to be a snug 1-1/2 inch round hole to prevent starlings from using the nest box. There is a set of specs for bluebird boxes at the North American Blue Bird Society website: Nestbox Specifications. They can be easily handcrafted from untreated 1/2" material that is 5 1/2" wide. The Missouri Dept of Conversation has nice plans that are easy to follow, along with good information: How to build a Bluebird House. Unbeknownst to me, they can also be fashioned out of 4" PVC. (Though they are better for tree swallows than the bluebirds.) Now I have an excuse for bringing some home with me! In fact it can be one of the Chronicles projects in the future. Great project for the kids too.

Image Credit: Ronaldok
It pleases me to no end to hear of the success of the many volunteers that have put in the time, energy, and effort to make and put up boxes for the Bluebird.

A tip of the hat is certainly in order!

4 comments:

Bob said...

A blacksmith friend of mine has a nest box near his shop, and when I visit we spend the time watching the antics of the bluebird pairs. He says that they are territorial, so that nest boxes should not be placed in close proximity.

Thanks for the linkage, Albert, it is much appreciated.

Deer Passion said...

They are such beautiful birds. I used to make fun of my parents for bird watching, but lately I'm finding myself enjoying them too.

Albert A Rasch said...

Bob,

I should be thanking you for your sharp eye and quick thinking!

DP, where have you been, what are you doing, why haven't you been posting, how are we going to get you back to writing, and when can we expect it!

Glad to see you if only fora moment!

Albert

jes said...

I think I must have been responsible for their comeback: last year, there were six successful broods raised in my one bluebird box......At least I stocked North Florida..