Saturday, May 19, 2007

Makes You Wonder... Just Where Are You Headed?

This is from a post I submitted on PaleoPlanet earlier this morning. The discussion started on another topic altogether but drifted in this direction. This is a topic that I am still formulating my opinions on, but rest assured that you will see much more on in the coming posts. Read on.

Fellows,

This brings to mind the issue of sustainability. I emphatically agree with Drewbear, Todd, and Tai Goo. There is nothing worse, IMO than this consumer driven, disposable, virtual society that we have allowed to be created around us.

I must say though, that as the creators of this... mess... we are responsible for cleaning it up. Now I realize that I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I'll say it anyway.

I try to support local enterprises as much as possible.
I try to leave things better than I found them. (Neater and cleaner anyway!)
I recycle stuff to new uses.
I grow vegetables and plant trees.
I make decisions weighed by a framework of proper ethical thinking.
I might take shortcuts, but if I claim to be good at it, it will show in the finished product.

It is difficult to change ingrained habits of decades of cultural norms, but it is up to each and everyone of us to open their eyes, and minds, and decide: "Am I doing what's right? Am I going to leave this place better than when I got here?"

Its the small steps that add up to giant leaps for mankind.

Where are you headed...

Regards,
Albert

1 comment:

hill said...

Words of great wisdom, Albert. I think it is pure greed and selfishness that prevent all men from seeking this. You're doing your part; I'm doing mine, and that is where it must start.