Monday, May 18, 2009

Blogs of Note: Hunting Business Marketing

© 2009 Albert A Rasch
.
Hunting Business Marketing
With Dayne Shuda
Image Credit: Dayne Shuda
When I first bumped into Dayne Shuda's blog, Hunting Business Marketing, I thought to myself, "What does this have to do with the outdoors?"

I read through several of his posts, and it dawned on me that Dayne's mission was to help me communicate more effectively about the things I cared about the most.

Dayne's knowledge of World Wide Web marketing includes SEO, Creative Commons, and Social networking and linking sites. For bloggers these might not seem like very important issues, but in reality they are. If you are interested in being seen or heard, you need to know about the Internet and what is available to help you be noticed.

For instance, there is Flickr. Computer lugnuts like myself, don't understand much of what happens outside of our little corner of the web. I heard about Flickr, but I had no idea what it was about. After reading and understanding the concepts behind Dayne's post "50 Inspirational Images to Inspire Blog Title," I was convinced that great photos help make a great post even better! Then Dayne followed that post up with "10 Ways to Create Stunning Hunting Blog Posts," where he reiterates among many things, that you can get great pictures at Flickr following some very simple rules.

Social Networking is another tool that Dayne asks us to embrace. I'm not a fan of any of the social networks. Hell I don't even like the phone that much. But Dayne has made several convincing arguments that have led me to try a bit of Social Networking.

Image Credit: Anirudh Koul
Dayne must be an audiophile. He frequently refers to many musicians and their careers as analogous to Blogging and business. My favorite is The Jon Bon Jovi Guide to Making it Big on the Web. You have to admit, that's pretty clever! And the information is solid.

He is also very clever at metaphors. His most recent post, The Robin Hood Blogging Theory is an excellent example of his skills at taking an idea that appears to be unrelated and turning it into a learning experience for his readers.

For those of you that take your blogging seriously, Dayne's blog, Hunting Business Marketing, is a great asset. Maybe you just want some ideas for your next post, or perhaps you are looking for some new tools, either way, Dayne has a substantial number of useful ideas, and a multitude of links to pros with other areas of expertise. I highly recommend Dayne and his work, you won't be disappointed by what you learn!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Hunt Continues...

4 comments:

Dayne Shuda said...

Thank you for the wonderful write-up Albert. I think you describe the site better than I could.

I'm glad you liked the Bon Jovi post. It was fun to write.

Thanks again,

Dayne

native said...

Really good advise from Mr. Shuda Albert!
The way he describes the Jon Bon Jovi blogging method is precisely how I personally have approached the hunting business as well.

Each business owner (no matter what line of work you are in) must remember that you are in the business of selling.
And sometimes selling to a fickle market can be very challenging indeed.
Persistence and belief in your product will carry you a very long way, but you also must learn to Target your Market properly and then expand upon that foundation.

I come from the school of hard knocks, but if any one out there would value this poor ol' dumb country boy's advise.
It is something which I should have done eons ago and that is: Take a couple of collage courses in "Marketing".

It will save you years of frustration and banging your head against the wall through too much trial and error.

As always Albert, a great post!!!!

native said...

P.S. I guess I should have learned to spell as well because I meant: College not Collage.
But, a collage of your past work on a resume is also not a bad idea for your bio I guess. L.O.L.

Kristine Shreve said...

Dayne's blog is wonderful and a great boon to anyone interested in starting an outdoor business or even communicating more coherently about the outdoors. I would rank this as a must read for any outdoor blogger.