Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dust, Dust, and More Dust! Notes from Afghanistan!

Howdy everyone!

I'll be leaving the Eastern provinces in a couple of days, and I wanted to let you all know what is coming up!

First, the Yo-Yo's for Troops campaign is really cranking up! Ms Pierceall found out about the YYfT morale program through Home on the Range and generously donated Yo-Yo's. The Silicon Greybeard made a very generous donation of Yo-Yo's too! But wait until you hear what is coming up soon. I am so excited that I can barely contain myself. A former Marine, veteran of the Korean Conflict, and accomplished woodcrafter, has hand turned and assembled 200 custom Yo-Yo's for the cause!!! I can't wait for them to arrive, and I hope that I can get Stars and Stripes to write a piece on our benefactor! Of course I have already written one, and as soon as I get them, I am heading right out to pass them out, get pictures, and post them!  So stay tuned!

As many of you know, I have the privilege of sharing with you articles and pictures from Sporting Classics!  I was really surprised and very pleased to be chosen; Sporting Classics is the one magazine all the other outdoor magazines are judged by.  Right now I am publishing them on Friday, but I would like some input on which day you would like to see them on. It will be a weekly column, one that I hope will be a big hit with you.

Hunting season is just about upon us, and I'll be having quite a few articles that will concentrate on it. I'm also wracking my brains for ideas, how-tos, projects, preparation, and the like, and I would like some ideas from you if possible! Anything for the cause! Oh, and remember that National Hunting and Fishing Day will soon be upon us! So plan now to do what you can to perpetuate our National Heritage.

News from the Front: I'll be heading out for R&R soon, so I'll be able to catch up on quite a few posts and pictures that I have been wanting to share with you. I'll be buying a new laptop, and it will have one of those wireless things in it so that I can actually get on the internet sans the MilNet filters. If I have the wherewithal, a new SLR will be coming back with me too. There is actually quite a bit of wildlife here that I would like to capture on pixels and show you.

All in all, it's quite an adventure I'm having. I look forward to going home for a couple of weeks, seeing my loved ones, and stopping by my local Starbucks, where everyone knows my name. Bubby has a secret Largemouth Bass spot that he's been staying away from, so that, in his own words, "They don't get lockjaw." He really wants me to get into a nice Largemouth! 

Best regards, your friend,
Albert "Why is there so much dust in this place?" Rasch

Sent via e-mail
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
The Range Reviews: Tactical

3 comments:

Albert Quackenbush said...

Have a safe trip back, Albert! I hope you are able to get some well-deserved rest, a quality coffee and that you do land the grandaddy largemouth. I would love to see some photos of the wildlife over there, so hopefully that SLR will make the cut. Cheers!

Lweson said...

I just got a Private message from desertfox saying that he had dropped another 4 in the mail. Could you let me or him know when ya get them...Thanks bud.

Nebraska Hunting Company said...

Looking forward to some good fishing I bet! Be safe and give me a call when you get in.

Best to you,
Scott Croner™
Nebraska Hunting Company