Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Blog Rodeo 07/31/10

© 2010 Albert A Rasch and
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
$g&m f9bd 45kd q!?5. trochronicles.blogspot.com
Saturday Blog Rodeo 07/24/10
It never ceases to amaze me that yet another week has come and gone and I am in one piece and unharmed. Not that it's that dangerous, but crap, I am in a war zone! The thing that really throws me off is the weather... Does Al Gore really know how hot it is here? And how did he get his internet all the way out here in the first place. Well I don't care, so long as it keeps working and I can blog!

Not to belabor the point, but once again I bring to you the posts and commentaries that I found most entertaining and informative! And believe it or not, none of it has anything to do with Vice President Biden, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, or our favorite pint sized nuclear armed dictator Kim Yong Il!

Image Credit: SoftHacke
Again we find ourselves with quite a few fishing blogs. It is that time of the year when everyone is out wetting lines and hauling them in! First up is SoftHacke. Lots of pretty artsy and really good photos of fish, fishermen, and wildlife! I learned stuff just looking at his pictures! Ken says, "I Love the river, its the only place where all my troubles truely do drown away." I'll tell you what, I am glad he chronicles his adventures on digital film!

Next up is Blue Gill on the Fly. I myself have an affinity for bluegills. As you might recall in my post Jigging for Panfish, I had one of my best fishing trips ever with nothing more than a ton of bluegills and a cane pole! Jonathan likes to as he puts it, "...blog about the beloved Blue Gill, its near relations and other museings on the fly." He travels quite a bit and has great photos too!

"There is no use in your walking five miles to fish when you can depend on being just as unsuccessful near home" -- Mark Twain -- So starts Robin's Ruminations. With an intro like that I didn't need much more to start looking deeper. he has a lot of posts on fly tying, and some great musings on the art of fly fishing. Fly fishing almost seems like a philosophical pursuit, wouldn't you say?


I only mentioned Fly and Fin last week, and I wanted to add a little more to the story. Fly and Fin has quite a bit on tying flys, and activities relating to flyfishing. "Angling is my passion. I’ve shared it with many friends, and now I’m sharing it in this blog." If angling is your passion, then check out the blog.

I really like the next blog, Midge Man's Fly Box. First of all it is technically well done. The colors and layout are really nice. The photography is top notch. The stories are excellent. But what I love best is his intro, What Makes the Old Man Tick. Allow me to quote: "Stir all of this together and I have become that guy who is a bit of a recluse, has a bunch of hidden little fishing spots that I won’t give away, carries far too many flies, owns far too many fly rods and I usually wind up with at least one trout, usually a brown, who by season’s end I will have stalked so many times that he will have earned a name." Is that awesome or what!? I have enjoyed reading his archives, and looking at the pictures. Matter of fact, I have half a mind to travel up yonder and check out the fishing one of these days! Oh and check out this post: Read the comments! Hot Spots

I especially enjoy the blogs by folks that just want to share their thoughts and experiences. As you all know, some blogs are very professional and well put together from a artistic or commerce point of view. Some are, well, kind of slapped together. But then there are those that really are just a reflection of their writer. Blog Cabin Angler is one of those. Mel has been blogging for some time and likes to change things up a bit every so often, so you have to keep on your toes with him! He has great fly fishing and tying credentials, and spins a good wholesome yarn. Another must visit!

Fish On! Boy I like the sound of that! here is another exceptional fishing blog with great pictures and storylines. But... he hasn't posted in several weeks... I will have to leave him a comment.

Lets go to a blog that has been on my mind on and off for well over a year. As you all know, I blog occasionally about Mountain Top Removal. My friend Denny of WV Backwoods Drifter has been blogging on MTR for a long time. So much so, that for him it is almost a second job. He commented about his dearth of posts on his two personal blogs Backwoods Drifter and Fossilized! Denny says, "It seems the only site I have been able to maintain is the Endmtr.com site. That blog is not maintained for my enjoyment or as a hobby. It is a story that absolutely needs to be told. If you haven’t visited it or don’t know what mountaintop removal coal mining is all about I encourage you to visit the blog and learn about it." Please take a moment today and go to his blogs. Leave him a comment, and then visit End Mountaintop Removal. Only you can stop the destruction.

Last but certainly not least is a new blog. Hunting Bastards. Its sole purpose is to document and catalog Sploggers, Spammers, and thieves. Oh boy, it looks like a fun one to me!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Member: Bagram Tent Club
Member: Hunting Sportsmen of the United States HSUS (Let 'em sue me.)
The Hunt Continues...

The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles







2 comments:

Avenger said...

Thanks for the shout out!

The Avengers.

softhacke said...

Thanks here as well for the blog pumping, i truelly appreciate it. ill have some new stuff of an alaska trip here shortly.